Vegan Red Lentil Dahl with Coconut Rice
2 tbsp coconut oil
1 med. Onion, finely diced
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 inch ginger, grated
2 tsp mustard seeds
2 tsp garam masala
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp turmeric
1 tsp chili powder
3 cups red lentils, dry
4-6 cups vegetable stock
2 tomatoes, diced
2 tsp salt
Coconut Rice Ingredients:
1 cup basmati rice
2 cup filtered water
1-2 tbsp Coconut oil
Salt, to taste.
- Place a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the coconut oil.
- When the oil has melted, add the onion, garlic, ginger, and mustard seeds. Cook until the mustard seeds start to pop and the onion is translucent.
- Add garam masala, cumin, turmeric, and chilli powder - saute for 5 minutes until fragrant.
- Add the lentils and stir to coat with the spices.
- Add 4 cups of vegetable stock and tomato, bring them to a boil, then reduce to a simmer.
- Simmer, stirring occasionally, for 30-40 minutes until the lentils have softened. Add more liquid if the lentils start to dry out before cooking through.
- While the dahl is simmering, add the rice, water, coconut oil and salt to a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil for 30 seconds then to move to a low heat with the lid on for 14-minutes. Remove from heat, stir, and set aside until you're ready to serve.
- When the lentils are cooked through, add the salt, seasoning to your preference.
- Serve with coconut rice and garnish with fresh cilantro. Enjoy!