This recipe was inspired by Gourmet Vegetarian Kitchen. I put my own spin on the recipe :)
Vegan Pad Thai with Lemongrass Tofu
Prep time: 25 minutes - 1 hour (depending on your tofu)
Cook time: 10 minutes
*LEMONGRASS TOFU (you can skip this step! Simply use plain tofu without marinating it and follow the rest of the steps in order):
- 1 block (454g) organic tofu, cubed
- 1 sprig of lemongrass, chopped
- 1 tbsp chilli flakes
- 3-4 tbsp avocado oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Salt, to taste
- ¼ cup raw cane sugar
- ½ cup soy sauce
- ½ cup tamarind juice (you can make yourself)
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp freshly squeezed lime juice (or ½ a lime)
- 1-inch of fresh ginger, grated
- 1-2 tbsp chili flakes or Sriracha hot sauce
- *1 block (454g) organic tofu, cubed
- 16oz (454g) pad Thai noodles
- 2-3 cloves of garlic, finely diced
- 1 medium red onion, diced
- 4 green onions or garlic chives
- 3-4 medium carrots, julienned
- *Any other veggies you like (broccoli, cauliflower, zucchini, shitake mushrooms, edamame, collard greens… etc). The more veggies you add, the more filling this dish will be for longer. Remember that rice noodles will digest fairly quickly.
- 2-3 cups of mung bean sprouts
- ½ cup roasted peanuts, roughly chopped (cashews or pine nuts are great as well)
- 2-4 tbsp of avocado oil (coconut or grapeseed work well here too)
- Marinate the tofu. Cover it and set aside on your kitchen counter while you prep your other ingredients. You want the tofu to marinate for approximately 1 hour (or in the fridge overnight).
- Next, soak the noodles in lukewarm water, and let them sit. It will be ready by the time you get other ingredients prepared.
- Now toast the nuts, and set aside to chop later.
Let’s prepare the sauce:
Add the cane sugar, soy sauce, tamarind juice, vinegar, lime juice, ginger, and chili/hot sauce to a blender. Mix everything well, and set it aside.
*You can hand whisk if you don’t have a blender
Now for the fresh ingredients:
- Finely chop the garlic.
- Thinly slice the onion.
- Chop the carrots (and any other veggies you like here)
- Cut the green onion.
- Wash and rinse the bean sprouts.
- Grind the nuts
Now that you’re all prepared, let’s cook!
*Optional* - Lightly steam your carrots, broccoli, and whatever veggies you choose here so they are still a little crunchy inside.
- Then, heat some oil in a large frying pan or wok on medium heat. Fry the tofu until golden brown and set it aside.
- In the same pan, add more oil and fry the garlic until it’s crispy brown. Add the red onion and cook until it’s translucent.
- Add the steamed vegetables and mix well.
- Add the noodles and quickly saute them, followed by the sauce. Give it a quick but gentle saute. Finally add the tofu and mix it up.
- Sprinkle in most of the nuts (leave a few for garnish), mix it up.
- Toss in most of the green onion and the bean sprouts (leave some aside for garnish), mix it well.
- Voila! Serve on 4-6 plates and garnish with green onion, ground nuts, bean sprouts, chilly flakes, and a lime wedge.